This recipe is, hands down, my favourite traditional apple pie recipe made from scratch! Juicy apple slices are coated in sugar and spices and then baked to perfection inside a flaky homemade pie crust.
No need to worry about mushy apples or a soggy pie crust because this apple pie bakes to perfection every single time!
This post shares my traditional apple pie recipe.
This site contains affiliate links; view the disclosure for more information.Jump to Recipe
Everyone needs a simple apple pie recipe, just like a good pumpkin pie or pecan pie. Whether you want to serve a traditional holiday dessert for Thanksgiving or Christmas, or if you’re simply craving the irresistible flavour of cinnamon and apples, you’re guaranteed to find it here!
- 1 Equipment Needed For Making The Pie
- 2 What Are The Best Apples For Making An Apple Pie?
- 3 Homemade Traditional Apple Pie Recipe
Equipment Needed For Making The Pie
What Are The Best Apples For Making An Apple Pie?
Granny Smith apples are the best choice for making apple pie. They are super tart and very firm, which makes them ideal for baking. Unlike other varieties, such as McIntosh, Granny Smith apples hold up well during the baking process and don’t turn to mush.
Honeycrisp is also a great option that holds up well during the baking process.
Homemade Traditional Apple Pie Recipe
- 350 g plain flour
- 175 g hard butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 large cooking apples (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 100 mls milk
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add in the salt and the tablespoon of sugar. Cut the butter into cubes and add.
- Rub the butter into the flour using the tips of your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the middle and add the water until the mixture comes together into a ball (you don’t want the mixture too wet, so take your time and add the water sparingly).
- Once the pastry has all come together move it onto a clean surface dusted with flour. Knead the ball of pastry lightly into a round ball. Then, wrap the ball of pastry in cling film and refrigerate the pastry for about 1 hour before assembling it into a pie.
Assembling The Pie
- Meanwhile, peel and slice your apples.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3.
- After an hour has passed, remove the pastry from the refrigerator. Cut the pastry in half (one half for the bottom of the pie and the other half for the top). It is often helpful to have one half slightly bigger and to use this half for the bottom of the pie. The bottom needs to be slightly bigger to cover the sides of the pie dish.
- Roll the pastry out.
- Assemble the bottom layer of pastry in the pie dish
- Pour the apple mixture over the pie dish. Sprinkle the caster sugar and cinnamon over the apples.
- Place the upper layer of pastry on top of the apple mixture, sealing the sides tightly with a knife or fork.
- Brush the eggwash glaze over the pastry and pierce a few vents in the top of the pie using a fork.
- Bake the pie for approximately 45 minutes until the pastry is golden brown
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream or ice cream.
Other Recipes You May Also Enjoy:
- 💫The Original Baileys Cheesecake Recipe – Irish Cream No-Bake Cheesecake
- 💫Almond Butter Energy Balls Recipe
Hi there! My name is Maria, and I am a Registered Dietitian practising in Ireland and Bermuda. I have extensive experience in helping clients improve their health through the power of good nutrition. I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additionally, if there are nutrition topics or recipes you would like me to make in future posts, please let me know. I would be more than happy to help.
Stay happy and healthy 💚
Your Registered Dietitian
Check me out on YouTube!
🎥 Visit my YouTube Channel to learn more about my approach to eating.